I had expected that Friday evening we would catch a cab from the Martha's Vineyard airport to Vineyard Haven, walk out on the Black Dog Wharf, make a phone call and be picked up by a small boat, then carried to the Picton Castle, anchored out in the harbor.
I am now told that we will catch a cab, but to Tisbury Wharf instead, and simply walk to the Picton Castle where it is currently tied up at their south dock. Plans, particularly with ships, are a little bit fluid.
My traveling partner, Aaron, and I are in the thick of decision making and packing. With laptops, cameras and satellite phone (which hopefully arrives tomorrow) we won't have much room for other items. Maggie from the Picton Castle tells me foul weather gear will be important, as will be a blanket for keeping warm at night (the ship provides just a pillow and a sheet). Shoes are optional, boots would be nice if it is cold and rainy. Clothes should be kept at a minimum, just a change or two should do.
That first evening, and probably the next morning, I will be able to post directly to this blog. Once we are at sea we will switch to satellite communications. At that point I will be emailing photos, as I did in the test a day or two ago. There won't be much in the way of words, other than a few comments to an online producer that may or may not make much sense. We'll see. I should have a link posted here in a day or so that will direct readers to a blog that will be more complete. I think. As I said, things are fluid.